What are the advantages of Scleral lenses over traditional lenses?
- Since the edges of the lenses are tucked under the eyelids, there is no rubbing of the edge of the lens on the eye. This also allows no rubbing of the lens on the cornea.
- There is minimal movement because the lens is not be moved by each blink
- Because of its larger size, the scleral lens can center and provide stability. The patient will not have to worry about the lens popping out or being dislodged.
- It will also protect the cornea from foreign bodies being entrapped between the lens and the cornea
- There is a fluid reservoir inside the sclera lens. This allows the eye to retain moisture.
- Since tear exchange is not needed, vision will not fluctuate due to dry eyes
- Wearing time is more comfortable because it has the fluid.
- For patient's with corneal ectasia, their vision can be better in scleral lenses than spectacles and sometimes, corneal GPs.